AGS Secondee Policy Officer
AGS Secondee Policy Officer Australian Pro Bono Centre (APS 5) – Sydney
The Australian Government Solicitor and the Australian Pro Bono Centre (Centre) are excited to announce a new position for a law graduate or junior lawyer with an interest in social justice. The successful candidate will work full time at the Centre’s Sydney office in the Law Building at UNSW gaining knowledge about the remarkable pro bono legal work undertaken by Australian lawyers, and experience in advocacy and policy development.
The Australian Pro Bono Centre is a centre of expertise which works to grow the capacity of the Australian legal profession to provide pro bono legal services that are focused on increasing access to justice for socially disadvantaged and/or marginalised persons, and furthering the public interest.
This is a full time paid position for a 6 month period with opportunities for training and mentoring.
About the position
This position will be a pro bono secondment arrangement between the Australian Government Solicitor (AGS) and the Centre. You will be employed directly by AGS and you will work full time at the Centre, working as a part of the small and dedicated team.
The Centre has an exciting six months ahead with a national conference in March, finalisation and release of a benchmark pro bono report, and advocacy on important issues. As a guide, it is expected you will be involved with:
- research and policy work on issues affecting the provision of pro bono legal services
- collecting and analysing data on pro bono work and unmet legal need
- preparing written reports, newsletter articles, guides and other resources
- developing and maintaining up to date knowledge of the policy context regarding the delivery of pro bono legal services by the Australian legal profession
- responding to enquiries from the public and stakeholders relating to the Centre’s work
- contributing to the Centre’s supervision of UNSW law student interns and volunteers working at the Centre
- assisting with governance, reporting and evaluation requirements
- report to the AGS National Manager, Pro Bono Services on issues relating to the secondment.
For further information about the requirements of the position, please refer to the role description.
This is a full time position at the APS 5 level and will be offered on a non-ongoing basis for a period of 6 months.
An attractive remuneration package consisting of a base salary of $57,500 per annum, plus 15.4% superannuation.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please visit AGS’s recruitment career website http://www.ags.gov.au/employment/current-vacancies.html for details.
- a covering letter (no more than 2 pages) indicating relevant experience with reference to the selection criteria outlined in the position description
- your CV
- your academic transcript for your tertiary law qualification.
To apply for this position you will need to be an Australian citizen. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the appropriate level.
Applications close 9 January 2017.
Further information about the position can be obtained by contacting Afton Fife at the Centre on 02 9385 7775 or Megan Pitt at the Australian Government Solicitor on 02 9581 7474.